Sunday, June 10, 2012

Day 1!

Day 1 of being 30 has been very cool. I had a lie in; something that rarely happens these days. My brain is a hive of activity normally, whether I'm awake or asleep and my other half is an early bird; his gallant efforts of being quiet equate to that of a baby elephant...ie not happening. So today 10am was my wake from slumber time. Lovely! Then the realisation that I had an hour to get ready for my surprise. Normally I can get ready pretty quickly but that's because I am pretty low maintenance. I wanted to make an effort here because I had been instructed by my other half to dress in my sunday best! And well there are less and less chances to dress up these days, so you need to take them a bit seriously I think :-)

Anyway, I had my first mini tantrum as a 30 year old (or my last as a 29 year old, as I was born at 9.50pm) when a "my hair doesn't look right, I'm not going anywhere"  moment hit. I can't say I've ever said that before in my life. Normally I scream at the mirror and run out the door just feeling annoyed and then I forget about it because I'm not the one looking at my hair, the person I'm meeting will be. Anyway I wanted to test out how it felt to be divaish. My other half was soooo sweet. He helped me take out all the pins and said to the taxi driver to wait and he said how long do you need, another 20mins, shall I send the taxi away? I instantly felt guilty and thought NO! This is not me! So i calmed down and straightened myself out. I don't do diva it seems.

We had lunch at Cliveden House, a really lovely house in Taplow, Berkshire. I have never been before and I thought it was soo lovely. The staff were friendly not stuffy and there was a real wow factor for me. Looking around some of the other diners, I realised I would never belong in that circle of wealthiness...I actually ate my food and not all the courses but everything on the plate of all the courses. I had skipped breakfast, would miss dinner and I literally went for it, taking pauses as I needed to. I went one step further than over-indulging. But i savoured every single mouthful, so my guilt is less. Anyway, I know karma is always on hand to serve it's reminders, so it dealt me a blow of lets see if that corsetted dress really works... Ouch said my organs, you are really squishing us now. We (my other half, my squished organs and me) went for a lovely walk through the grounds and down the steps to the river. The weather held out and it was perfect!

This was the exact table we sat at - a secret door to the right!

I then made a weightwatchers dessert for my family who popped over to see me, when we got home. I have this thing in my mind now, that when people come to see me I need to have baked goods on hand. Is this an age thing? I bonded with my lovely dad a bit more as I just bought a coffee machine (i will now be asking is this an age thing for every purchase and thing i do!!) and had no idea how to use it. He was really keen to show me how it worked and now I can produce a latte...ta dah!

So now the 9.50pm official birthtime has passed, I can offically call myself 30 years old.

With that comes ticking the box of a new age bracket, new face creams for 30 year olds..
I aim to find the positives in being 30 but I am a realist too. So I will definitely be giving a frank account of anything that is deemed positively/negatively 30 related.

But for now, I am going to sign off, drink a glass of amarula and map out the next 12 months carefully :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment